There are many gems across the United States that may not be well-known, but are favorited by travelers that are fortunate enough to have discovered them. We are proud to be amongst a list of such towns in an article posted by housemethod.com!
Ruidoso Named Most Underrated Town in New Mexico
The article by Housemethod.com names Ruidoso as the most underrated town in New Mexico, along with a long list of other underrated towns across the nation. It mentions our exemplary hiking, horseback riding, museums, concerts, dining, shopping and casinos. In light of this honor, we thought we’d expand on this list and give you some of our favorite options! Enjoy.
- Grindstone Lake Loop– Great for the beginner, however the loop is 6.7 miles, so prepare to turn around if you do not want to do the full loop. This trail has gorgeous views of the lake as well as the surrounding Sierra Blancas. There are also several options for enjoying the lake after your hike, such as paddle board and kayak rentals, fishing and swimming!
- Cedar Creek Trail– This trail is great if you are wanting a shorter, yet still scenic, hike at 1.5 miles in length. It has some gorgeous views and is dog friendly!
- Grindstone Stables– Enjoy a 3 mile, one hour ride past Grindstone Lake. This guided horseback ride is beginner friendly and for ages 5 and up!
- Inn of the Mountain Gods Stables– This scenic ride is offered by Inn of the Mountain Gods Casino and Resort. It is for ages 8 and up and is offered through October.
- The Hubbard Museum of the American West– This place has a great story that you must experience in person. There are activities for kiddos and interesting information about the American West, horses and much more. Don’t miss the gorgeous horse sculptures outside the museum.
- Lincoln Courthouse Museum– Not in Ruidoso proper, but not a long drive. Lincoln Historic Site and Courthouse Museum is like a town frozen in time. If you are a fan of the antiques and vintage, you will enjoy this trip back in time to feel the history.
- All American Country Music Festival– What we hope will continue as an annual event, this weekend is the All American Country Music Festival! 2018 headliners include Josh Abbott Band and LANCO!
- All American Futurity/Derby– The richest quarter horse race in the world! This yearly event is one that draws people from all over to be a part of it’s 60 years of tradition and excitement.
- Spencer Theater– There are always great music and performing arts acts at Spencer Theater! It is also a gorgeous building in the middle of (seemingly) nowhere that has beautiful glass sculptures.
- Inn of the Mountain Gods– Another great venue for music and performing arts. They often book well-known music artists and have a fantastic casino for pre-or-post show!
Dining- There are SO many favorites, so here are just a few, but check out our dining section for more.
- Tina’s Cafe– You must try anything smothered in their green chile cream sauce. We suggest the puff pastry or tamales!
- Cafe Rio– We love this pizza for it’s fresh toppings and crunchy, yet still chewy crust. It’s a must have. Tip: Expect a wait on busy weekends, so go before you’re ready to eat to put your name down or to see how far out their wait list is, there is plenty of shopping nearby to keep you busy.
- Rio Grande Grill and Tap Room– Good beer, big menu, yummy food. They can also accommodate larger parties.
- Anaheim Jacks– For a good burger, beer and fried green chile!
- 25th in Mid– One of our favorite boutiques in Midtown. Don’t forget to hit the sales and kiddo sections in the back!
- Galleria West– For beautiful handmade souvenirs, this is the place. The owners are very helpful and can tell you a little background about pretty much anything they have in their store!
- Mountain Arts Gallery and Framing– This place has a great variety of paintings and metal artwork!
- Nomad/Brunell’s– Brunell’s has something for everyone: cute little moccasins for the little ones, great outdoor gear for the outdoorsy folks, and nice boutique clothing for women. Nomad has a really great t-shirt, shoe and sunglasses collection!
- There are tons of shops all through Midtown and down Mechem to the Upper Canyon… Here’s a more extensive list.
- Billy the Kid Casino– Right next to the Ruidoso Downs Race Track is the Billy the Kid Casino. This casino is slots only and has done some great updates in 2018 including 100 new slots and updated smoke eaters, lighting and chairs!
- Inn of the Mountain Gods– This casino has tables, bingo and slots. The resort has so much to offer, so if you decide to take a break from the casino there is a lot to do in the vicinity, such as ziplining, amazing restaurants and scenic views.
This is just a short list of what makes Ruidoso worthy of mention as the most underrated town in New Mexico! Come visit Ruidoso and we promise, you’ll get it.
Thank you again to House Method for the honor of being chosen for your list.