Photo credit: @jazmen91 on Instagram
It is becoming no secret that Grindstone Lake is one of the most popular outdoor recreation areas in Ruidoso. From fishing and swimming to hiking, biking and paddle boarding… and now, a Wibit open water park! Such a strange name… Could it be a funny version of the sound a frog makes…? We don’t know and good luck figuring out what it means. We searched for a while and couldn’t figure it out! What we do know is that it is created by two friends from Canada and Germany who met playing soccer in Germany and were inspired by America’s floating trampolines and Legos. That, of course, is a very brief explanation of a company 20 years in the making.
But, let’s get to why you really came here. The details!
- The water park is at Grindstone Lake (click here to pull up in Maps)
- Daily passes are $20/person. (Tip: While this attraction is new and technical kinks are being worked out, we suggest bringing cash to pay for passes for a smoother entry). However, cards are accepted as well.
- Per Parks & Rec, the tentative plan is to have the Wibit open until the start of August. There is a possibility for the season to be extended, so please check back here or follow up with Parks & Rec (see contact info below) closer to your trip if it is after July.
- You may leave Grindstone Lake and return to enjoy the Wibit the same day with the day pass wristband.
- Lincoln County residents may purchase a Season Pass for the Wibit and the pool for $60. These can only be purchased at the Ruidoso Parks and Rec Office (see address below). 2 forms of proof of residency (including ID) will be required to purchase season passes.
- It will be open Wednesday – Sunday from 10 am – 6 pm. Please stay outside the buoyed area after 6 pm.
- Life vests will be required and will be provided by staff. Personal life vests will not be allowed.
- Participants must be at least 36″ tall and must be able to swim from the dock to the Wibit (about 30 feet). Guests 36-45″ tall must be accompanied by an adult on the Wibit.
- A lifeguard will be on duty during open hours.
As for Grindstone Lake in general:
- Shore fishing hours are 5 am – 11 pm.
- Boat fishing hours are Dawn to Dusk.
- Parking is $5 a day.
- Fees are associated with the Wibit open water park, watercraft rentals, mountain bike rentals/tours, food/drink, and fishing gear rentals.
- New Mexico requires a fishing license for ages 12+, which can be purchased online here.
- Boats are allowed on the lake with a permit. Permits can be purchased Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm at the Parks & Rec office (see address below)
- There is a 27-hole championship disc golf course at Grindstone Lake that is FREE to use.
- Pets must be on a leash.
We will do our best to accommodate any additional questions via our Facebook page.
We hope you have a great Summer in Ruidoso!